Friday, May 30, 2014

Pie Recipes


Kelsey - Kara



My beautiful granddaughters, Kara and Kelsey came down from Michigan last week to do their annual cleaning of the pond house.  About 4 years ago I wasn't able to do it and they came to help me out.  At that time they said this would be their yearly job. :)
I had posted pictures of my rhubarb pie I made on Facebook and Kelsey messaged me and said that she thought a pie was a great idea on the day they were here.  I also fixed their very, very favorite thing...Joan's Taco Salad.  They both were happy campers and had lemon pie as soon as they arrived (breakfast they said).  If I have to say so myself, it was delicious.

I have always struggled with meringue, getting it to be fluffy and high.  I found a new recipe in my
Southern Living Magazine and as you can see it was a huge success.  The picture indicates that there wasn't much lemon filling, but there was.  I used Grandma' Lemon Meringue Pie recipe from allrecipes.com

This is the Meringue recipe:
4 large egg whites (room temperature)
1 1/2 teaspoon cream tartar
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoon Cold water
1 1/2 Tablespoon Cornstarch
2/3 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Whisk 3 Tablespoon cold water into cornstarch in a 1 quart sauce pan.  Whisk in 2/3 cup boiling water.  Cook over medium heat until thick. (about 1 minute)  Remove from heat and  completely cool. (about 30 minutes)

Beat 4 egg whites and cream tarter at medium then high speed with a heavy duty mixer, using whisk attachments until foamy.  Gradually add the cup of sugar and beat until glossy and has stiff peaks.
Beat in vanilla and salt.

Spread over cooled pie making sure you seal all the edges so the meringue doesn't get weepy. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.  If you can stand it, completely cool.  If you like cold pie, you can refrigerate.  Enjoy.


I have been asked about what recipe I use to make pie crust. 

Here is the link to the pie crust recipe.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pie-crust-recipe.html#!   I HAVE DISCOVERED THAT THE FLOUR IS ALMOST 2 CUPS FOR 6 OUNCES, NOT 1 CUP AS HE STATES.  MAKES A  MUCH BETTER PIE CRUST.  I DO WEIGH IT TO GET THE SIX OUNCES.

There is a video too and it is what I do except I use Martha Stewarts saran wrap instead of a plastic bag.  Easier for me.  I also just add 1/4 cup cold ice water as I don't have a spray bottle and keep forgetting to buy one.

Several of you wanted the following recipe.


 Rhubarb Cream Pie Recipe.

I prebake my pie bottom shell for about 10 to 13 minutes using pie weights on top of  parchment paper to keep the middle from forming a bubble.  Dried beans can also be used on top of parchment paper.

1 1/2 cups sugar
3 T flour
1/2 t nutmeg
2 well beaten eggs
1 T butter
3 cups cut rhubarb
pinch of salt

Blend sugar, flour and nutmeg together.  Add eggs and butter and beat with a fork until smooth.
Pour over Rhubarb and Mix well.   Add to a prebaked pie crust.
Add top crust and then spread a thin layer of milk or cream over top.
Bake 450 oven for 10 minutes and then reduce to 350 oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments: